Friday, June 8, 2012

Tuxedo Nails!

 

Tomorrow is a big day...my friend Nicole is marrying her fiance Greg! Nicole and I have known each other since we were in middle school. We spent many, many Friday nights together throughout junior high and high school, hanging out at the mall and movie theater, waiting for our parents to come pick us up! Many Friday nights at high school football games and TGI Friday's afterwards, and once I even lied to administrators at my high school, saying Nicole was my cousin, just so she could go to the Make-A-Wish Foundation Dance Fundraiser with me! (We did get kicked out which was complete bull$hit, especially since I raised the most money that year. I ended up winning free prom tickets!)

I'm not in Nicole's wedding, but that doesn't mean I can't get all dressed up and go all out. And by all dressed up I mean my nails. There are three things I think a lady must always check off before she leaves the house. 1) wear decent undies. You never know when you'll be in a car accident and have to have your pants cut off in the emergency room. Seriously. I worry about this happening. 2) always have clean hair. Along with no holes in your underwear, who knows when you'll be able to shower again. Dry shampoo will only take you so far. And 3) do your best to have nice nails. I don't care if they're acrylic, gel or natural, just keep them from looking like talons and slap a coat of neutral paint on them so you look like a woman. 

I knew right away back January how I would be wearing my nails to at least one of the four (4!!) weddings I will be attending this year. Zoey Deschanel wore tuxedo nails on the red carpet for the Golden Globe awards. They were fabulous! You can see what inspired my look here. Love them!

This mani was fairly simple to create. I don't have any black nail polish and the dress I'm wearing is blue so I decided a dark midnight blue would work perfectly. (BTW- the dress looks purple online and is even called Purple Royale...but it is seriously the same color as my old Civic SI- if I put the dress on top of the hood you wouldn't be able to see where they aren't the same. Exact dupe) For this mani you will need: nail polish remover, cotton balls, q-tips, toothpicks and at least two colors of polish. I used Sally Hansen's White Tip for the white, China Glaze's Up All Night, and OPI's Last Friday Night from their Katy Perry Collection.


I painted both of my ring fingers with two coats of White Tip and let it dry. 
 
Then I painted the bottom of my nail with Up All Night. I just went slow and started with a thin line and made it thicker as I went. 

Then I placed one dot directly above the line in the middle of my nail, and surrounded it with two dots on each side. From there it was a simple task of connecting the dots to create the bow. Finally, I added three dots down from the bow to the line looking like buttons. 
I painted the rest of my nails with two coats of Up All Night and let them dry. I finally went back over the tuxedo with Last Friday Night. It's a blue glitter and it really made them pop! I topped everything off with one coat of Essie's Polish Refresher. 

When I think of tuxedos, this comes to mind!! I absolutely love this part of the movie and it's so true. Tuxedos are formal but tuxedo nails are fun! So what do you think? Are tuxedo nails something you see yourself wearing to an event? I think these nails are awesome and will be great for tomorrow's wedding! Congrats to Nicole and Greg!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment