Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Creamy Garlic Pasta

One of my favorite things in the whole wide world is garlic. I seriously am in love with garlic in everything. It's strange, but for awhile garlic would really mess up my stomach. I couldn't eat any alfredo or even the breadsticks from the Olive Garden would have me bent over ready to cry from the stomach cramps garlic gave me. But I thank God every single day that I no longer have that problem, because I go through about a bulb and a half a week easily while making dinners. It's great in everything. Yep, I hope vampires aren't real and if they are that I never become one. 

For quite awhile I've been trying to make a really garlicky pasta. I've probably tried about 5 different ways of doing this and it never turns out right. Ryan and I will take a bite and then look at each other, and I'll go to the freezer to defrost a bag of spaghetti sauce to dump on whatever I've tried to create. They just haven't had that good, rich, garlic taste that I desperately want to be able to make at home. I came across a recipe for a garlic pasta on Pinterest and figured I'd give it a shot. I am so glad I did. It had a really bold, strong garlic taste and I loved it. I was texting my friend Carrie as I was making it and she was saying how her husband loves garlic and she needed the recipe if it turned out okay. Well, here it is Carrie! I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we did. This will now be on rotation in our home :o)

Creamy Garlic Pasta (Serves 3-4)
(adapted from The Cheese Pusher)

2 tbsp olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced (it called originally for 4...you knew I was doing more)
2 tbsp butter
pinch salt
½ tsp pepper
3 cups chicken stock (Giant Eagle Organic is really good. Only 20 cal. per cup!)
½ lb farfalle pasta
1 cup grated parmesan cheese (buy the expensive one, it's worth it)
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tbsp chopped chives

In a pot, bring the olive oil to medium-low heat. 

Add the garlic and stir, allowing it to cook for 1-2 minutes. 

Mix in the butter until melted. 

Add the salt, pepper and chicken stock. Raise the heat to high and let it come to a boil. 

Once it is at a rolling boil, add the pasta and cook until almost all of the chicken stock has cooked off. I didn't know this would happen, but you will end up with no chicken stock left. Do not drain.

Reduce the stove to medium heat and mix in the parmesan until completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the cream and chives. Serve immediately.

I sprinkled some crumbled bacon on top. If you don't serve this immediately, the cheese starts to harden again and it's not as good. Ryan and I decided that next time I'll get a mixture of mushrooms to add and some grilled shrimp to add on top. But, it was really good even without the improvements I want to make. I can't wait to have it again!  

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I will be making this, ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will love it! we decided to add mushrooms and shrimp next time though!

    ReplyDelete