Sunday, April 22, 2012

Great Grandma's Cinnamon Cookies

Cinnamon cookies
Ok, most of you will realize by the end of this that these are Snickerdoodles. But, in my family they're called Cinnamon Cookies. My dad asked me to make these and I didn't have a recipe. Luckily, my mom had the original one that belonged to my great-grandma. She copied it to me and I said, "I can't make these tonight, I don't have all these ingredients." My mom gave me a strange look because I always have flour, sugar, heavy cream, plus most normal things someone who bakes frequently would stock in their pantry. "What don't you have?", my mom asked. "Oleo", I said. She looked at me weird again. "You bought 8 boxes when it was on sale three weeks ago!" she said. Finally it was me looking at her weird. "Mom, what the hell is Oleo?!?" I asked her. "Bec", she sighed, "It's margarine!".

Did you know what oleo was? I honestly didn't have a clue.

Cinnamon Cookies (makes approximately 48)
2 sticks oleo (margarine or I always use unsalted butter in everything I bake)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cream of tarter
Cinnamon and sugar (for rolling)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line baking sheets with silicone baking liners. 

Using the flathead paddle attachment on a stand mixer, mix together the first three ingredients.
 Add the salt, vanilla, cream of tarter and baking soda.

Slowly add in the flour, about 1/2 cup at a time. Make sure you scrape down the sides of the bowl and the bottom of the bowl doesn't have any flour that the paddle isn't incorporating.

Get your baking sheets lined up! This is the fun part! In a small bowl combine some sugar and cinnamon. I used probably 3/4 cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons of cinnamon because I like my cookies really cinnamon-y. I pretty much add cinnamon to everything.

Roll the dough into balls roughly 1 1/2 inches in diameter. They will flatten out in the oven so you can make them smaller or bigger depending on how you prefer your cookies. 
 Roll the balls in the mixed cinnamon and sugar. I really coated mine because I wanted a lot of cinnamon and sugar texture on them.


 Place the coated balls on the silicone lined baking sheets. I did 12 to a sheet because they will spread out. Pop them in the oven for ten minutes exactly.

Look at all that coating! Mmm mm mmm!

 Let them cool at least two minutes on the baking sheet when you remove them from the oven. Otherwise, they will bunch up when you try to scrape them off the pan. 


 They will be slightly crunchy but definitely delicious! These are perfect for dipping in a morning coffee.
Oh baby, baby. I seriously have eaten five fifteen of these since I made them yesterday afternoon. Plus it just gives me another excuse (like I need one) to drink some coffee. Store in an airtight container for up to a week. Good luck with them lasting that long. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment