Friday, April 27, 2012

Who isn't struggling with something?

One of my friends recently came across my blog. She asked me if I knew it was public and available for anyone to read. I was kind of surprised about her question; isn't a blog supposed to be public? 

I struggled personally and privately with my weight-loss journey. When I began last September I didn't tell anyone that I was trying to start a different lifestyle. Part of this was because I had failed many times before at my attempts at dieting, and part of it was because I honestly didn't know myself if I could be successful. Ryan knew of course that I was watching my portions and upping my exercise because he saw that every evening. My parents knew because I see them multiple times a week, and when I finally lost 10 pounds I was able to tell my mom.

I don't understand why anyone would want to keep their weight-loss success a secret. My sister was probably the biggest supporter of anyone throughout my journey. She was constantly giving me compliments and she received most of my old clothing! It took awhile before some people complimented me though. I'm not sure if it was because they didn't want to mention they noticed a weight-loss, or that they were jealous, or a combination of the two. 

When I think of my close girlfriends, all except one are currently on a 'diet'. Even yesterday when my mom and I were shopping for dresses for an upcoming wedding, my mom mentioned how she needs to lose a few l-b's for the wedding. I wish I could grab all of my girlfriends and tell them that a diet won't work. Yes, you will lose those 10 pounds you need for your upcoming wedding. No, you will not keep it off if you go back to your old eating habits. Eating clean and healthy is the best way to lose weight. It will come off and you will be able to keep it off. I promise. 

Even though weight-loss was my personal struggle just half a year ago, I realize many of us are struggling with various things all the time. Financial hardships. Relationship issues. Job stress. Whatever you are dealing with in your life, just take a minute and look to the future. Where do you want to be in six months and what can you do to get there? Keeping a food journal and setting goals really helped me map out where I wanted my journey to take me and I think it is what helped me be successful. 

Although it is a bit scary knowing anyone can read now about my struggles and where I started, I'm also incredibly proud of what I've done. It wasn't easy. It took a lot of hard work and dedication and patience. I actually wish I had blogged during my journey. When I look back at where I started from, I can't really believe any of what I did was real. I am so glad I recorded everything I ate and all of my workouts, because these past seven months passed by so quickly. I can't even believe how successful I was. 

To my girlfriends struggling with their weight loss, I encourage you to make a blog and be brutally honest with yourselves. It is the only way to be successful and you will be so proud when you finally reach your goals as well.

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca! This is Lauren and Ally from college- we are creeping on your blog and you look happy and fabulous! You go girl! Glad all is well....just wanted to say hi. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey girls- Thanks so much! I creep too so it's ok :-) hope everything is going great for you two!

    ReplyDelete